Monday, January 27, 2014

Crunching The Numbers

So, we have reached my least-favorite part, but before I talk about that I'll talk about the cool parts.

First cool part: Lady Camille des Jardins is making 'wafers' (we're going with what is really a pizzelle) hot and fresh on site for service during the third course, and will also be making gluten free ones (first) to have them available for anyone who needs one.

Second cool part: All the wonderful people who I am meeting as a result of this project, and who are helping me in so many ways I can't even begin to express. Thank you. I can't say it enough.

Third cool part: We're making cheese live in the kitchen!  When I say 'we' I, of course, mean that Baroness Aurelia Rufinia will be making a soft farmer's-style cheese for service during the first course. I have had the pleasure of making cheese with her once, and I find it amazing to watch the milk suddenly turn into cheese. She says it's science (SCIENCE!) but I continue to be convinced it's magic.

On a related note, Rufinia also tested the Oyle Soppys recipe for me on the Friday before Birka, and .... well, it's not good. I'm not going to repeat exactly what she said (although it's pretty darn funny and she should totally tell you in the comments if she wants too) but suffice to say that she put one bite in her mouth and spit it out. So, we'll cross that one off the list.

Now, the least-favorite part.  Dealing with the budget.

You've probably wondered why the third course has not yet been "set" (which it should have been at least a week ago, if not more). The reason why is the budget.  We are seating 10 tables of 8, plus should expect to serve High Table (8-10 people) and I also need to make sure the kitchen staff has food to eat even though we won't be actually seated.  That puts my feast budget at $960. 

In setting the dishes for this feast, I've tried to strike a balance between a) season appropriate foods; b) foods that work within the site restrictions around raw meats, and c) foods that are a low cost to serve in bulk. In theory, the first and second courses should each be about 35% of the budget (so, about $330 per course), the third course should be about 25% of the budget ($240) and the remaining 5% should be for things like drinks, butter, salt, and miscellaneous items that don't fit strictly within a particular course.

Right now we are out of balance. The first course is taking about half the budget. The third course is basically where it should be (with a tiny bit of adjusting). So I need to make some decisions on what will happen with the first course (Can we find less expensive sources? If not, what changes must be made? Change the protein? Remove an ingredient? Change to recipes that use less of the expensive ingredients but more of something else?) I don't feel like I can "set" the second course. 

Also? There are still seats available. Please send in your reservation and make sure you can eat with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment